Inspired Expat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

View the whole list

Statistics
We have 49 registered usersThe newest registered user is MahyaOur users have posted a total of 104 messagesin 44 subjects
Like/Tweet this page :
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Inspired Expat on your social bookmarking website
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Go down
hpvid44

Regular, non retired people permanently living abroad  Empty Regular, non retired people permanently living abroad

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:44 pm
As far as I'm aware, these are the main types of people who end up either spending time in or permanently living in a non-western country :

* There because of their job / military
* Tourists / bloggers / digital nomads
* Players (international "lovemakers")
* Sex tourists
* Retired
* Divorced, looking for a new start
* Weirdo loser oddballs

There doesn't seem to be many who are just regular, non retired people who went to live abroad just because they preferred it. I'm sure they're out there, but you don't really hear from them.

Why is this? How come so many people talk about going abroad but most of them fall into one of the above categories?
FutureExpat

Regular, non retired people permanently living abroad  Empty Re: Regular, non retired people permanently living abroad

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:33 pm
Money. That's the only reason I can think of. Even in countries where your money goes further than at home, you still need to earn a crust, or have earned your crust to be able to live comfortably wherever you decide to settle.

A friend of mine ran a bar for years in Bali and loved it. Married a local and then had kids. They came back because the schooling was better for the kids. He still regrets leaving that life behind. But it was a sacrifice he made for his kids and they are both doing really well so I suppose for him it was worth coming back. Me on the other hand, if I had the money I'd be gone.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://decidewheretoexpat.com

Regular, non retired people permanently living abroad  Empty Re: Regular, non retired people permanently living abroad

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:38 am
Money is definitely a big factor. But just as importantly, I think it's a matter of being able to earn money abroad. These days a lot of people are trying to do that online, and in my opinion that's the best way because it's a portable income. I wonder how many more people would become expats if they could make money online. 
FutureExpat

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:43 am
I am a dinosaur when it comes to online earnings. I don't have a single social media account. And I have no interest in getting one. So internet income probably isn't for me, wouldn't even know where to start! Barely managed to join this forum!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:50 am
What other options do you have? Property or any other investments? By the way how did you find out about this forum? 
FutureExpat

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:08 am
A pension. Eventually. It's a damn good pension though. And a good wage now so trying to get the expensive bits of buying and building out of the way with a regular income so the pension is just living money.
Got a message about it. On another forum.
Piano

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:53 pm
I'm not sure where you are meeting these expats that fall into those categories. The area I live in is full of useful working expats, many of whom have started their own companies that fill needs that were previously unmet here before. Diesel mechanics, boat repair, small crane operators, 3d printing shops, competent electricians, plumbers and tradesmen, private recycling outfits, etc, etc.

I personally own a farm, an apartment building, a warehouse, as well as two other businesses which have become going concerns. They keep me busy, and someone visiting my island wouldn't know I (or any of my colleagues) exist. You won't find us in bars hanging out with the tourists or promenading down main street, we are at work living normal lives. Once every couple of weeks I might take the family to one of the beaches, but it wouldn't be a beach that visitors would know about.

Of course there are the bums that come here to drink their lives away on their small pensions, but by and large, they are a very small percentage of the expat community.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:04 pm
How integrated are you in the local culture? Have you lived there long?
Piano

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:07 pm
I'm fairly integrated. I've been coming here for about 10 years and moved permanently 5 years ago. I've also spent time in other parts of the country, but decided my current location suits me best. I always desired the quiet life, and this is a fairly remote place. Having business interests with employees makes one catch on fast.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum