Inspired Expat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

View the whole list

Statistics
We have 49 registered usersThe newest registered user is MahyaOur users have posted a total of 104 messagesin 44 subjects
Like/Tweet this page :
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Inspired Expat on your social bookmarking website
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Go down
Bartolo

Countries where a westerner can realistically live  Empty Countries where a westerner can realistically live

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:40 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
These days travel is more popular than ever and a lot of people are visiting different countries (digital nomads, PUAs, backpackers). But realistically, what are some countries that a westerner can actually move to permanently and spend the rest of their lives in? Bear in mind that there's always a price to pay (compromise), not to mention that the needs of someone who is retired are different to someone younger.
FailedMan

Countries where a westerner can realistically live  Empty Re: Countries where a westerner can realistically live

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:48 am
Depends what you want. Mexico, Brazil, anywhere in Europe
FutureExpat

Countries where a westerner can realistically live  Empty Re: Countries where a westerner can realistically live

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:50 pm
I'm personally looking at a couple of countries. Spain for one and America for another. Still in the research stage so I'll be very interested in any practical advice on buying and living in either of these countries! Spain seems to be quite easy to buy but then there is the ongoing issue of Brexit and where that would leave me if I did manage to find somewhere suitable in Spain. With brexit dragging on the way it is, I may even get some land before its finalised. Then just fingers crossed we'll be able to use it post brexit!
America is a whole other story. Getting a visa there just seems to be a non starter if you aren't sponsored or loaded!

I've not looked at any other countries at this stage but I think I should start. The only issue with that is I'm probably the least well travelled person on here! Not for lack of desire, just lack of funds and timing with work. I plan to correct that and luckily enough have a missus whose willing to up sticks and follow me off into the sunset somewhere!

So the desire is there, now just lacking the knowledge, the funds, any visa other than a tourist one! So that's why I'm here, advice! How to get started, where to start looking and the pitfalls to keep an eye out for that others who have been there and done that!
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://decidewheretoexpat.com

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:29 pm
FutureExpat wrote:I've not looked at any other countries at this stage but I think I should start. 
So if you couldn't live in the US, what would you look for in a potential country to live in (as well as Spain)? I mean what would be the most important factors to consider?
FutureExpat

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:23 pm
The same as any one else really; a safe environment, low crime figures, good health care, nice climate. Space to breath, reasonable if not cheap prices for property and large amounts of land ownership. Easy connection to services like water, electric and sewers. Convenient for a bit of essential shopping. Like I said, the usual.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://decidewheretoexpat.com

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:42 pm
I see, the reason I ask is because I might be able to help you (see the first link in my signature) but then again it sounds like you're after more of a rural lifestyle, as opposed to living in a town or city, which is what I would be able to do research on.
FutureExpat

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:30 pm
Rural doesn't have to mean a million miles from a town or city. Also depends on how big the town is, some can be quite small after all. A city is a city wherever you go though.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum