Inspired Expat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

View the whole list

Statistics
We have 49 registered usersThe newest registered user is MahyaOur users have posted a total of 104 messagesin 44 subjects
Like/Tweet this page :
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Inspired Expat on your social bookmarking website
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://decidewheretoexpat.com

How to get more people to join and post on this forum? Empty How to get more people to join and post on this forum?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:06 pm
I've been promoting this forum as much as I can, but it's going very slow. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get more people to join?
FailedMan

How to get more people to join and post on this forum? Empty Re: How to get more people to join and post on this forum?

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:39 pm
Be careful what you wish for, do you really want to have a forum of trolls and other people with issues?

You can't expect people to build your forum you have to offer something that draws them in and starts the conversation. Later you could advertise on Reddit or somewhere like that if you want an influx of cancerous people but what's the point of linking on other forums when there is nothing here yet?

Make some videos for youtube, they could even be jpg powerpoint videos and link this forum. The videos could be titled with questions, people are looking for answers. People are drawn to content and topics that aren't discussed anywhere else. Find old tv shows about traveling and host them here, and old books about travelers and host them in pdf form here in a new section.
Admin
Admin
Admin

How to get more people to join and post on this forum? Empty Re: How to get more people to join and post on this forum?

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:24 am
I don't want trolls but I do want more genuine people. As many as possible. Trolls can be spotted quickly so that's not an issue. 

Your ideas are good, and I do have a page with useful links (see the menu on the top left), as well as a youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwS_hqIKHxrFHPZUN3cJqZA/videos) which I intend to post videos from at some point. 

But what would really draw people here is lots of discussions. But you can only have that if you have lots of people joining and posting...which you can only have if you can bring people in. It's catch 22, I accept this. It's going to be hard at first. 

This forum does get views every day, whether I send tweets (which I do a lot) or not. I get the feeling that there are people visiting repeatedly to see if things have picked up, and perhaps would join once that happens. And I've seen you here a few times, I get the feeling you're waiting for it to get busier so you'll have more people to have discussions with. I understand. I want the same. 

It's just one of those things man. It's going to take a while. 

But other than that, what do you think of the forum in general? Do you like the look and layout? (I promise I'll keep trying to figure out how to get rid of that blue thing at the top). Is there anything you think I could improve? 
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 pm
Contrarian Expatriate : 

I was just about to reply to your message to me on Happier Abroad, but I may as well do it here now. 

It's really difficult to get traffic here. I've sent lots of tweets and when I do that I do get views, in fact I get them within seconds. If I keep tweeting each thread, I get more views. But no new members. I've even set up a guest forum so people can post without joining at first. Nothing. The views I get are just out of curiosity I guess. 

The conventional advice for how to get traffic to a site does not work. At least for me. Twitter is useless, the only people who follow me are people with their own sites, as opposed to people who might be interested in what I'm offering, whether it's this forum or my service which is advertised in the home page with an unmissable advert at the top. I get next to no traffic to that either even though I have a youtube channel with 60 videos which all have links to it in the descriptions. That channel gets very few views. 

The only thing that got me a few views to my Location Independent Expat Relocate site was when I recently plugged it on various youtube videos about expats and travel. But I don't see that as a realistic and reasonable method. 

Also this week I invited 100 travel bloggers and youtubers to join a forum (which I would have created if I'd had enough interest) set up for networking among platform owners and entrepreneurs involved in that niche. I got 1 email back. It's unbelievable how unresponsive people are, and how stuck in their ways they are. 
Contrarian Expatriate

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:36 pm
I think about what drew me to certain forums and it was certain subjects being discussed which I discovered on Google searches. I suppose that the forum world is full of options now so the unique niche of this site has yet to be established. Once it is though, it will be like a runaway train.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:30 pm
You think this forum will become popular organically? I don't know about that. One day I had 91 people viewing and no one joined. But I get the feeling that most of those viewers were bloggers as opposed to normal people. 

I think what puts people off is that when they check out the statistics they see that there aren't that many threads or members. That's what I usually look at when I consider joining a forum. That, and how many people are currently logged in.
FailedMan

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:35 am
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum